Geraldine Vander Straten
Founder | Certified Pilates Instructor
– MERRITHEW™ STOTT PILATES® –
GERALDINE, or some of you know her as Gerry, has always known that to make her ideas live, she first had to live them. She is among those chronic back pain survivors who undertook life in pursuit of their goals. Her Pilates journey started with a single step…. literally, after her second spine surgery.
Prior to her second surgery, Geraldine was an avid sports competitor in golf, tennis and badminton. Through injury she was reduced to being wheelchair bound for a few months. During that time she seek out various alternative therapies and treatments. Seemingly, nothing worked. Surgery was on the cards and she went ahead with it.
Once discharged and able to walk, she was on her way to what she describes as Joseph Pilates himself quotes “Every moment of our life can be the beginning of great things.”
As a client, Geraldine benefitted tremendously from the Pilates exercise method of healing through movement, strength, flexibility and prevention of further injuries.
“Pilates had given me the biggest gift. I was able to enjoy movement again and kept my back pain at bay. Sports and movement was my life and I finally realized that I could be getting my life back through Pilates. I could help other people like me to move again freely without pain and conquer their fears about their back condition. I want to share my experience and show people that they can manage their back pain and that Pilates works.”
Geraldine went on to train with notable Pilates innovators and pioneers and obtained certification with:
- Merrithew STOTT Pilates
- Injuries and Special Populations
- CORE BARRE
- Polestar Pilates
- Pilates Academy International (PAI)
- Smart Movement Method
- Active Isolated Stretching (AIS)
- The Centre for Women’s Fitness
- Diastasis Recti Recovery
- Pilates for Menopause
- ZENGA Mat & Reformer
- Fascial Movement Foundation
- She continues to attend courses, workshops and retreats both locally and around the world to constantly update and refresh her teaching style.
- Always thirsty for knowledge and the ability to help others, Geraldine ventured to train with POOLATES creator Boo Pfeiffer and Lisa Gibson in Miami, Florida and is Asia’s first Instructor Trainer teaching Pilates in an aquatic environment.
- Once called a recalcitrant back pain sufferer, Geraldine says, “I have been a patient, a client, a trainer and now the founder of PILATES CORE & BEYOND. If I can heal through the strength, flexibility, prevention and movement of Pilates, so can others.”
- Catch her in the studio and ask her about the “Beyond” in her studio name…. PILATES CORE & BEYOND.